Monday, 4 November 2013

The Sting of...

"Seriously?"

Bending my arms with my palms clapped onto the ground, I felt as though thorns are repeatedly pounding onto my head. My eyes - all red and sore, stretched wide opened to visually understand where was I. I could not. It was pitch darkness, the air was damp and my floral pastel blouse soaked with perspiration and from the puddle of water on the ground. The smell of the ground was tangy, cold and smelt of rotten rat. My heart shrank.

"Where in the world am I?"

Lifting my head up, only the sound of water droplets subtly engaged in its own rhythm can be heard. It was as though the droplets have their tempo to compose a tone which I tried to hum along but was instantaneously taken aback by the gush of cold, cruel wind. The wind embraced through my long, dark brown hair. The wavy strands of my hair helplessly danced along with the obnoxious wind. My body quivered. My skin was screaming for warmth, for protection. I had to huddle within myself in this place of immense uncertainty.

The wind stopped. It was gone like a group of maniac passed by with no hoots of what lingering wound it caused me. Then my ear went deaf. The silence - again. The ear deafening silence. My dried, chapped lips close tightly. My nose hurt, my eyes stinging with fire. I started to tear.

"Am I really alone here?"

Then, the music of the lonely water droplet started its opening epilogue. My lips wavered a faint smile. Opening my mouth and moving my tongue to wash down the stale taste with my saliva, my shoulders felt a little lighter. The straining thirst for water is gnawing me alive.

I had to get up.

Struggling between my mind and body to overcome the exhaustion, I shut my eyelids tight and began to shake my head a few times. The excruciating torture of pain I felt was like daggers slicing through my brain with no mercy. It was swelling - the nerves in my brain were swelling. Slowly, my eyes gotten used to the darkness. Images of blurry shapes can be seen - still uncertain what are they.

Inch by inch, I tried to lift my bone-weary body up. Every muscles it took to lift myself up, is like my blood being injected with blazing metal spikes, gushing though my veins. Screaming in immense fear, rage and despair, my legs began to move. I had to support myself to get up.

My feet pounded on the ground followed by another feet. My thighs were aching from the cold. The pressure of my weight made my calf smolder in desperation to keep my feet on the ground.

I stood up. The rhythm of the water droplets cheered me on with its increased tempo. My eyes squinted in appreciation of the only thing encouraging me to stand up strong and mighty. Bringing in all my strength, I tried to walk. Every step I took, the clearer I see. It was getting brighter. There was light!

My heart giggled with happiness. I can finally get out of here! My hair started to dance along with a gush of the friendly wind. The wind was warm, it made my heart feels so fuzzy with comfort. My body stopped shivering. The air seemed to be getting drier. The smell of sweet scent oozed through the atmosphere. It smelt like rose! I love roses! Oh the sweet smelling air made me feel so clean. I was not perspiring at all. The simplicity of contentment made my eyes sting again - the tears of joy flowed endlessly.

This is happiness. This life is happiness - indeed. We all needed to feel satisfied with whatever that comes around in our life! I needed to smell the luscious air again. Inhaling with great contentment, my stomach shivered in disgust.

The smell of the air is salty, bitter and moldy. The light on my hands were golden and shimmering - but it was gone.

"Where is it?"

I needed to chase the light. The warmth. I tried to run but tripped over myself onto the cold, damp and rough ground. I lifted my head up, the light was fading away. It was moving further and further away from me. My arms stretched out onto the ground to lift myself up again. I did this before, I know I can do it again. Right away, my arms gave way and my body crumbled onto the ground. My bones were greeted with the cold, stale air - again. The silence was here - again. The cold air was building - again, it was as though the sly wind could not wait to build a typhoon to beat me up all over again.

The water droplet began with its slow tempo. Its slow, lonely and depressing tempo.

The only song of my heart - the sting of love we all have to face every now and then.

No comments: